Recipe of the week – Japanese beef with soba noodles
by Andy Ness
Nori is a good source of iodine, essential for the healthy source of the thyroid gland. Each serving provides the following vitamins and minerals B1, B2, B6, B12, C, E, niacin, zinc, copper, potassium, iron , magnesium and selenium
Ingredients (serves 4):
– 5 tbsp dark soy sauce
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 1 tbsp cornflour
– 1 tsp wasabi paste
– 450g lean sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into strips
– 300g soba (Japanese buckwheat noodles)
– 2 tbsp sunflower oil
– 1 large red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
– 1 bunch of spring onions cut into 5cm lengths
– 125g shiitake mushrooms sliced
– 750ml dashi stock (made from dash powder)
– 1 sheet nori (Japanese seaweed) cut into thin strips
– 15g fresh coriander chopped
1. Mix together 3 tbsp of the soy sauce, the garlic, cornflour and wasabi in a medium-sized bowl. Add the beef and stir until well coated. Set aside.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes or according to the packet instructions.
3. Meanwhile, heat a wok or heavy based frying pan until really hot, then add half of the oil and swirl to coat the wok. Toss in the red pepper, spring onions and mushrooms, sir-fry for 4 minutes. Remove from the wok with a draining spoon. Drain the noodles well and set aside.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the wok, add the beef and stir-fry for about 4 minutes or until just tender. Remove with the draining spoon.
5. Pour the stock and remaining 2 tbsp of soy sauce into the wok and add the noodles and vegetables with the nori and coriander. Toss well then add the beef and toss again. Pile the noodles, vegetables and beef into the bowls and spoon over the broth. Serve immediately.
Recipe source: All recipes.co.uk