Recipe of the week – Easy Italian Chicken
by Andy Ness
This quick and easy version of an Italian favourite is a good source of protein and healthy carbs that’s also low in salt and fat.
Ingredients (serves 2):
– 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 skinless chicken breasts
– 250g mushrooms, sliced
– 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
– 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
– 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
– freshly ground black pepper
– 200g dry wholemeal pasta
– fresh basil to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180 deg C/ Gas mark 4.
2. Gently fry the onions in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.
3. Place the chicken breasts in an ovenproof dish, mix all the other ingredients together thoroughly (apart from the pasta) and pour over the chicken. Bake for 40 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked.
4. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
5. Serve the chicken with the pasta and garnish with the fresh basil.
Increase the protein content by adding Chicken, Steamed White Fish or Egg